Crew takes fifth

By Sebastian Genty

Marketing Director

Coming off its best year in school history, the men’s crew team hopes that this year will be equally impressive.

The team opened its fall season Oct. 16 in Rochester, N.Y. at the Head of the Genesee Regatta. The Bison competed against  Brown, Cornell, Hobart and Marietta. The team’s efforts paid off as the Men’s Varsity 8+ ranked third, and the JV boats were all the fastest in their divisions.

Highlighted by silver medal performances at the Knecht Cup and American Collegiate Rowing National Championships in the spring, the Men’s Varsity 8+ finished last season ranked 22nd in the country amongst all programs (Divisions 1-3 and all club programs).

“Both our fall and spring seasons will certainly be a challenge but we are looking to capitalize on last year’s performances and again redefine our own measures of success,” said head coach Paul Bugenhagen.

This promising start will set the pace as the team tries once again to beat previous school records.

On Oct. 23 and 24, the team competed at the Head of the Charles in Boston, Mass., the world’s largest regatta, where last year the Varsity 8+ finished fifth in the college division, another school record. Last year’s winner was Williams College, but this year the Bison were looking to wear the crown. The Varsity 8+ came in 12th out of 42 in their event.

“We have a strong group, but they are young so anything is possible. I am confident that the group will find success, it’s just a matter of when. It’s all part of the process,” Bugenhagen said.

The team will close out its fall campaign at the Rutgers’ Fall Classic on Nov. 6 in New Brunswick, NJ. This regatta will feature the Bison first-year crews competing against some of the strongest teams on the East coast.

“I am extremely excited with this year’s group of freshmen. We brought in some good high school talent and we have great walk-on talent as well. I think the combination will be a potent mix come spring-time,” assistant coach Al Monte said.