Fitness classes make exercising fun while more effectively burning calories

El McCabe

Senior Writer

Are you tired of the old gym routine? Do you only rotate between the treadmill and the elliptical? If you answered yes to either of these questions, it is likely that you will benefit from trying one of the specialized classes the University has to offer. 

The University offers fitness classes that break up the monotony of working out and are guaranteed to be different each time. For example, the first fitness class I tried here was kickboxing. It was a great workout that helped relieve stress and burn calories simultaneously. Punching and kicking the punching bag repeatedly was fun and it allowed me to channel negative energy. The class also works your core and keeps you going for the entire hour time slot. I suggest this class if you want a solid workout and the opportunity to relieve stress/negativity.

Another amazing class to check out is spinning. This class is definitely the most intense one I have tried here, and if you do try it out, make sure to bring your “A” game. You are working hard non-stop for an hour straight, and the class is very interactive between the instructor and your fellow spinners. If you are not pushing yourself hard enough, the instructor will come and add more resistance to your bike, which may seem harsh but will really benefit you and your body in the long run. Afterwards, you will definitely be feeling sore but satisfied. I suggest trying this class at least onceit is a great feeling to know you worked that hard and burned major calories.

Finally, the most popular fitness class the University has to offer is definitely Zumba. For those of you who do not know what it is, Zumba is essentially a fitness cardio dance party. The routines, taught by the talented senior Grace Ragold, are on the whole consistent from week to week, so the Zumba-ers can master the moves. New people are always welcome, and no one judges you for messing up the dance moves. Zumba has classes three times a week, so definitely go check it out. Also, one hour of Zumba burns 576 calories, which is more than running or training on the elliptical!

These three classes are not the only ones offered here. A full list of the amazing classes offered at our school can be found online or in the gym itself. Give one a try, and I can promise that you will not be disappointed!