Off the Tube: 'Big Bang Theory'

By Katie Monigan

Arts & Life Editor

“The Big Bang Theory” is the epitome of nerd shows, but it’s more than just a showthat nerds watch—it talks about nerdy things, but also makes fun of them so it appeals to other people, too.

The show depicts the interactions between four researchers at CalTech, two of whom are roommates, and an attractive but dim-witted waitress from across the hall named Penny.

This season is not very different from the previous seasons, but it doesn’t really need to be. Where shows with children like “Two and a Half Men” or shows that have very dramatic plotlines like “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Desperate Housewives” need to constantly change to remain interesting, “Big Bang Theory” is pretty much the same every week: somebody messes up an experiment, has an awkward date or comes up with a brilliant idea that doesn’t work out, and by the end of the episode their lives are normal again. It’s a pretty childish way to structure a show, but it’s consistently pretty funny, so it works well.

Recently, Sheldon, the nerdiest of the nerds involved, is in a relationship with a woman, but their relationship is not even close to normal. She’s a neurobiologist, and he’s a theoretical physicist, so they’re both smart enough to be beyond any hope of social functionality. They text constantly but have no physical contact. They are planning to have children artificially to avoid ever touching each other. It’s so ridiculous, it’s hilarious.

The show is simple, but if it’s your kind of humor, it’s really entertaining. It’s probably going to burn out for lack of new ideas in a season or two, but for now, it works, and those of us that like to laugh at awkward smart people find it very enjoyable.