"Trombone Shorty" to perform at Commencement Weekend

Laura Crowley

Trombone Shorty to Perform at Commencement Weekend

Trombonist Trombone Shorty and his associated act, Orleans Avenue, will play together at the University’s 163rd Commencement Weekend. Troy Andrew, better known as Trombone Shorty, performs the trombone, trumpet and vocals. Orleans Avenue will contribute sounds from Mike Ballard on bass, Joey Peebles on drums, Pete Murano on guitar, Dan Oestreicher on baritone sax and Tim McFatter on tenor sax.

The jazz/hip-hop/funk sound of the collaboration is not unlike the sounds popular from the jazz scene in New Orleans. Trombone Shorty fell in love with the trombone at an early age in his hometown of Tremé, New Orleans. The artist, who is now 27, began playing the trombone at just age six, when his instrument was almost twice the size of him. Although he is most known for his trombone, he also plays the trumpet, drums and the keyboard.

Trombone Shorty’s interest in music was not unusual for members of his New Orleans-based family; he is the grandson of singer-songwriter Jessie Hill and the younger brother of trumpeter and bandleader James Andrews.

Since the collaboration between Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue began in 2009, the group has toured around North America, Brazil, Japan, Australia and the U.K. For the third year in a row, Trombone Shorty was awarded the Best R&B/Funk Artist and Best Trombonist in Offbeat Magazine’s Best of the Beat Awards.

Perhaps most notably, the Trombone Shorty and Ballard performed at the 2013 Inaugural Ball the night before the president’s swearing-in ceremony. Trombone Shorty also performed at six events in New Orleans that celebrated Super Bowl XLVII.

Also on Trombone Shorty’s resume are appearances on night shows such as “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and “The Late Show with David Letterman.” He has been a guest on “Good Morning America” and is a reoccurring guest on the HBO series “Tremé.” He has also played alongside Dave Matthews Band and worked with Eric Clapton, Zac Brown Band, Lenny Kravitz and Rod Stewart.

While the artist is clearly dedicated to his music, he has also founded the Trombone Shorty Foundation. The foundation works to donate good-quality instruments to school children “to preserve and perpetuate the unique musical culture of New Orleans by passing down its traditions to future generations of musicians,” according to its webpage, tromboneshortyfoundation.org. The foundation has most recently partnered with Tulane University to create the After School Academy that mentors aspiring musicians in New Orleans high schools.

The event will be held in the Weis Center on May 17 at 7 p.m. Tickets will be $20 for adults, $16 for seniors (62+), $10 for children under 18 and $10 for all college students. University seniors can receive one free ticket for the performance if reserved in advance through the Box Office.