Mike Huffner up for Senior CLASS Award

Andrew Arnao

Sports Editor

The men’s lacrosse team is flying high, largely in part to big contributions from many different players. One such player is Mike Huffner ’13, who has provided outstanding defense throughout his four-year career as a Bison. In addition to his effort on the field, Huffner is an outstanding student and is one of the top student-athletes in his year. Because of his accomplishments, Huffner is one of 10 national finalists that have been nominated for the 2013 Senior CLASS Award.

To be nominated for this award, a student-athlete must be a senior in NCAA Division I (in this case, lacrosse) and must demonstrate excellence in four specific areas: community, classroom, character and competition. Huffner is the second Bison to be nominated for the award, following Mike Muscala ’13, who was nominated for the Senior CLASS Award in men’s basketball.

Huffner has already demonstrated his qualifications as a competitor. He has been a First Team All-Patriot League choice twice, and he was voted the league’s Preseason Defensive Player of the Year for 2013. After missing most of his first year with an injury, Huffner became an integral part of the team during its championship run in 2011 and has never looked back since. He is currently a big contributor to a team that is ranked 11th nationally.

Huffner is also a Dean’s List student in biology and is planning on attending medical school next year. He was named to the Patriot League Men’s Lacrosse All-Academic Team and the Capital One Academic All-District At-Large Team last year, and is also a school tutor for biology and organic chemistry. Huffner also has a leadership role in the Bison Pals program and is a member of Colleges vs. Cancer.

Make sure to vote for Huffner up to once a day by either visiting the University’s Athletic website or the Senior CLASS award website!