Masks, Movement and Mayhem

Masks, Movement, and Mayhem

Anna Jones

This weekend, be sure to save some time to stop by Harvey Powers Theatre to check out this spring’s Mainstage Production of “Masks, Movement and Mayhem” produced by the University’s Department of Theatre and Dance. The show will premiere tonight at 8 p.m., with three more shows: tomorrow at 2 p.m., April 14 at 8 p.m. and April 15 at 8 p.m.

“[The performers will blend] elements of physical comedy, mask work, music, visual poetry and clown in order to build [a] story,” said Kali Quinn, guest artist and show director. 

The show operates on the themes of power, subversion and laughter. Each student will use masks, movements, dance and voice to create their character and tell the story. The show consists of an ensemble of 18 University student performers from all majors and class years, student choreographers, five stage managers, a sound designer and an assistant director, all organized and directed by Quinn. The plot, character list and script were all created by the student performers–with a little aid from Quinn. The show is an ever-changing process, so nothing is ever set in stone.

“Each hour-long performance will include a talk-back with the ensemble to share your reactions and learn more about the process,” Quinn said.

Audience participation is key in a show like “Masks, Movement and Mayhem,” so be prepared to engage in the show and discover the quirks of an unusual theatrical process.

The process of building this show began in the fall of 2012 when Quinn visited the University as a guest artist. She met with interested students to do physical theater workshops and, over a five-week rehearsal period, she ultimately created the piece that will be playing this weekend.

Quinn comes from the Brown University/Trinity Rep Repertory Company Master of Fine Arts Program as a clown and mask instructor. She is also deeply involved in the Accademia dell’Arte based in Tuscany, Italy, where she facilitates movement workshops and also represents the school at conferences.

“Everyone [should attend the show],” Quinn said. “It will be accessible through listening to the music, enjoying the story, looking at the images and seeing the masks.”

“This world premiere theatrical experience … promises laughs, surprises and an innovative and moving exploration of power,” Quinn said.

University students have been working tirelessly devising the set, script and physical movements to prepare this masterpiece. Don’t miss this unique theatrical experience from renowned director Kali Quinn, this weekend only!