Student talent showcased at late-night concert

Alex Golden

Seventh Street Café was hopping on Sept. 20, as Michael Strauss ’14 took the stage to perform as part of the café’s Late Night Music series. Accompanied only by his guitar, Strauss performed an impressive array of music, covering diverse artists such as Father John Misty, Iron and Wine, and Bruce Springsteen. Strauss, a theatre major with minors in English and music, is clearly a masterful musician with the warm, raspy quality of his lower register perfectly complementing the clear and pure high notes he hit effortlessly throughout the night.

Strauss is heavily involved in the Department of Theatre and Dance, and is a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and the University’s only male a cappella group, the Bison Chips. And sure enough, many of his fellow Bison Chips members were in the audience on Sept. 20 supporting their friend, and in some cases, joining him, most notably to rap Usher’s “Love in This Club.” Overall, the atmosphere was one of camaraderie and humor, as Strauss’ audience simultaneously cheered on and heckled its friend.

In a post-show interview, Strauss explained that he was inspired to start performing in elementary school after receiving both an Elvis and a Beatles CD as gifts. He began singing and playing for his family, and performing in small plays at his summer camp. He most enjoys playing folk music, especially the songs from Paul Simon’s chart-topping album, “Graceland.” When asked which artist, living or dead, he would most like to perform with, Strauss said “Louis Armstrong. No one plays the trumpet like Louis. No one plays jazz like Louis. It would be a huge honor to perform with him.”

Anyone who came to Seventh Street on Friday would certainly agree. We will definitely be hearing more from Strauss in the future; in the meantime, be sure to visit the café tonight to see Lara Murray ’16, this week’s Late Night Music Series’ artist.