New business ideas presented and judged at BizPitch Competition
RAs elect to establish RA union on campus
How do we handle a culture of burnout?
Women’s Track and Field dominates Colonial Relays

“Quiet on Set” reveals harsh truth about children’s TV

Making a difference locally: Students bring back The Listening Post

Emmy Award winners surprise viewers

Anna Jones

Arts & Life Editor

Celebrities dazzled the American public once again at the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards on Sept. 22. The show was hosted by a dapper Neil Patrick Harris and provided a night filled with upsets and excitement for avid television watchers.

AMC’s “Breaking Bad” took home the award for Best Drama Series, defeating “Downton Abbey” from PBS, Showtime’s “Homeland,” Netflix’s “House of Cards,” “Game of Thrones,” and “Mad Men.” Not surprisingly, ABC’s popular show “Modern Family” claimed Best Comedy Series again, while HBO’s “Behind the Candelabra” snagged Best Miniseries or Movie.

As for actors, Claire Danes won Best Lead Actress in the drama category for her role in “Homeland,” beating out Kerry Washington from ABC’s “Scandal,” Elisabeth Moss from “Mad Men” on AMC, Robin Wright, Connie Britton, Michelle Dockery, and Vera Farmiga. Jeff Daniels from “The Newsroom” joined Danes as Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series.

On the comedy side, “Big Bang Theory’s” Jim Parsons defeated Jason Bateman from “Arrested Development,” Alec Baldwin from “30 Rock,” Louis C.K., Don Cheadle, and Matt LeBlanc. Julia Louis-Dreyfus from HBO’s “Veep” took home the female award in the same category. She stood out from a list of crowd favorites, such as Lena Dunham, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler. “Behind the Candelabra” continued its streak with Michael Douglas winning Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie. Laura Linney from “The Big C: Hereafter” won Best Lead Actress for the same category, over the favored Elisabeth Moss from “Top of the Lake.” Unfortunately, Linney was not present to accept her award, since neither she nor anyone else expected her to take home the Emmy.

The Emmy’s also focused on the people behind the camera. “House of Cards” won Best Directing for a Drama Series, “Modern Family” was victorious for Best Directing for a Comedy Series, and “Behind the Candelabra” succeeded in Best Directing for a Miniseries or Movie.

During the show, Jane Lynch from Fox’s “Glee,” gave a tribute to the late Cory Monteith, her fellow “Glee” co-star. Jean Stapleton from “All in the Family,” Jonathan Winters, Gary David Goldberg, and “The Sopranos’” James Gandolfini were among the other celebrities honored in the annual tribute to deceased celebrities.

The show lasted three hours and made for countless magazine articles chronicling the winners and their outfits, and it was certainly an interesting year to view the Emmy’s.