Greek life raises money for cancer research and treatment

Nick Salvo

Philanthropy leaders from the University’s Interfraternity Council (IFC) and Panhellenic Council raised over $12,000 for charity on Oct. 6 at the Greek-sponsored “B+ Challenge,” according to IFC Community Service and Philanthropy Chair Jeremy van de Rijn ’15 and Panhellenic Council Vice President of Community Outreach Ally Flessel ’15.

Van de Rijn and Flessel coordinated the event, which featured an obstacle-laden “Twisted 5K Run.”

All proceeds went directly to the Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation, a national charity that provides financial and emotional support for families of children with cancer and also provides grants for childhood cancer research.

Kappa Delta Rho, the fraternity whose national philanthropy partner is the B+ Foundation, co-sponsored the event. Every member of the fraternity signed up for the run and helped with food and refreshments during the event.

The Twisted 5k consisted of a five-kilometer run around the University’s West Fields. Nine obstacles, designed by teams from fraternities and sororities, added to the challenge of the run, Flessel said. Obstacles included trivia games and army crawls.

Over 120 people participated in the run, while 288 students raised money through donations, van de Rijn said.

Van de Rijn, a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, said that he hoped the event would open eyes on campus to the community service work done by Greek organizations.

“Community service is one of the goals of all governing bodies of Greek life. It is an important part of the Greek community on campus. And really, community service is very fun and very rewarding,” van de Rijn said.

Flessel said that she hopes support for the B+ Foundation will continue in upcoming years. She also said that it is important that events like the B+ Challenge spread beyond Greek life and become something that the entire University community supports. She stressed that philanthropy is a great way for Greek students and unaffiliated students to unite for a common goal.

“Philanthropy can be a common ground between Greek students and the rest of the campus,” Flessel said.