University prepares to welcome home alumni

Jen Lassen

The University’s annual Homecoming celebration kicks off today, with events lasting until Sunday, Oct. 27.

Students, alumni, and families can start Homecoming weekend on a good note by watching songwriter Christopher Williams ’92 in Bucknell Hall tonight at 8. Williams comes from Nashville and is also known as a talented storyteller and entertainer. All are welcome to enjoy his free concert.

Prior to Williams’ concert, the women’s volleyball team takes on Army in Davis Gym at 7 p.m. The Bison Club will induct five athletes (Molly Creamer ’03, basketball; Gene Depew ’71, football and head baseball coach; Ian Joseph ’01, baseball; Becki Marshall ’02, cross country/track & field; and Jennifer Zimmerman ’00, field hockey) into the Hall of Fame during a commemorative dinner celebration in the Terrace Room at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 per person.

Also this evening, the Class of 2013 will celebrate their Zero Year Reunion at the Lewisburg Hotel with hors d’oeuvres and drinks. Tickets are $25 at the door.

Saturday’s events will start with a tour of Academic West at 9:15 a.m., guided by Associate Provost Robert Midkiff, and Campus Tours at 10 a.m., led by tour guides (meet outside of Freas Hall).

The day continues with an alumni book signing with Eric Hart ’01 for his book “The Prop Building Guidebook: For Theatre, Film and TV” at 10 a.m.; then, author Jack Wheatcroft will host a signing for his book “The Disappearance of Felix Kulp” at 11 a.m. Both signings are at Barnes & Noble. Everyone is invited to take a walk on the Poetry Path at 10 a.m. to experience Downtown Lewisburg through poetry readings and recordings. Meet inside the auditorium at Bucknell Hall.

Following tradition, the football team will play their annual Homecoming Football Game at 1 p.m. in Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium vs. Lehigh. Before the game, visit the tent next to the stadium for the Homecoming Tailgate and Little Bison Kid’s Zone for food, games, and other activities. Tickets for adults are $15 each; youth (age 3-18) are $10 each.

Other athletic events for the weekend include women’s soccer vs. Holy Cross at noon at the Emmitt Field at Holmes Stadium; men’s and women’s swimming vs. Pittsburgh at 1 p.m. in the Kinney Natatorium; men’s soccer vs. Colgate at 4 p.m at the Emmitt Field at Holmes Stadium; and women’s volleyball vs. Holy Cross at 5 p.m. in Davis Gym.

Students, alumni, and families can also check out many other events on Saturday. These include GALABI & Fran’s House Meet and Greet at 2 p.m. at Summit House; Costume Studio Grand Opening and Reception at 4 p.m. in Coleman 252; International Commons Grand Opening and Reception at 4 p.m. in Coleman 151; Residential College Alumni Event (free refreshments and hors d’oeuvres) at 4 p.m. in the Smith Quad; Engineering Student Research Symposium and Reception at 4 p.m. on the Second  Floor of the Elaine Langone Center; Black Alumni Association Reception at 4:30 p.m. in Seventh Street House; and “The Unfinished Journey–Then and Now: 10 Years of the Civil Rights Trip” reception and forum at 5 p.m.in the Freas Hall Lounge.

Saturday of Homecoming concludes with a concert featuring longtime friends Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell to celebrate their new album “Old Yellow Moon.” The concert begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Weis Center.

On Sunday, The Gulden 5K Run/Walk and Brunch is at 10 a.m. (9 a.m. registration). The race loops around the Mod Fields and returns to the KLARC for the finish. The Run/Walk includes a catered brunch for all participants and spectators. At 11 a.m., the Rooke Chapel Ringers will celebrate their 30th Reunion with a Performance in Rooke Chapel.

With a variety of activities and events, this year’s Homecoming Celebration boasts a well-rounded itinerary with something for everyone. Take part in celebrating our University and the people who make–and have made–it such a special place.