Bison Athlete of the Week: Jackson Place ’14

Devan Schulte, Staff Writer

Heading into his last season with the Bison, Jackson Place ’14 is looking to make his final mark in the Patriot League before heading into the world of Major League Lacrosse (MLL). Named Third Team Preseason All-American for this upcoming season, Place is not only looking forward to a promising few months ahead but also to his recent draft to the Ohio Machine.

As one of the Orange and Blue’s key starting defensemen for the past three seasons, Place has made quite a name for himself in the lacrosse world. Not only has he earned Second Team All-Patriot League honors and ranked 17th nationally for turnovers as a junior, but he also secured Patriot League Defensive Player of the week two times in his third season. Place also helped lead the Bison to a record of 12-4 in 2013 and a spot in the Patriot League championship.

His impact on the team’s success began as a first-year when Place appeared in 16 games as a close defenseman and long-stick defensive midfielder. As a sophomore, Place started every game and played an essential role on a defense that allowed only nine goals per game. Although he has had three extremely successful seasons so far, Place is still looking to improve and hopefully lead the Bison to a National Championship come May.

Although the MLL will begin in April, all college seniors are not permitted to play until the conclusion of their seasons. Place hopes that his MLL career will be put on hold until the Bison reach success. Place will be joining seven other Bison once drafted to the MLL and may possibly be reunited in Ohio with long-time teammate and stand-out goalie Kyle Feeney ’13. Never having thought about playing lacrosse after college, Place finds it a huge honor to be recognized for his achievements on the field but is eager to complete his final season as a Bison before continuing his career beyond Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.

“Being a part of Bucknell Lacrosse the past three years has been an incredible experience. Everyone involved from the parents, coaches, and players are all extremely close and support one another in striving to be the best team and individuals we can be. I couldn’t be more excited for this season and to make it the best one yet,” Place said.

With teammates like David Dickson ’15 and Todd Heritage ’14 supplementing Place’s outstanding defensive skills up top, the team is expected to have tremendous success this season, starting against Delaware on Feb. 8 at home.

Bison Profile

Position: Defense

Height: 5’ 11”

Class Year: 2014

Hometown: Wayne, Pa.

High School: Episcopal Academy

Stats:

2013: Second-Team All Patriot League, two-time Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week, named to Patriot League All-Tournament Team, ranked fifth in the Patriot League and 17th nationally with 30 caused turnovers, ranked third on team with 43 ground balls.

2012: Tied for fourth on the team with 31 ground balls, ranked 22nd nationally with 26 caused turnovers.

2011: Collected 15 ground balls and had seven caused turnovers.