Bison Athlete of the Week: Mike Nicholson

Devan Schulte, Writer

In the midst of his fourth season for the Bison, Mike Nicholson ’14 is not a stranger to the water, nor a stranger to winning. Since Nicholson’s start for the Bison three years ago, the swimmer has secured spots on the First Team All-Patriot League list after his outstanding performances in the individual medley (IM), breast, fly, and free races for each consecutive year.

Nicholson began his career as a stand-out first-year, winning the Patriot League Male Swimmer of the Week three times, gaining the title of Mid-Major Honorable Mention All-American, and achieving multiple first-place finishes in the 200 IM, 400 IM, and 200 fly. After receiving the same honors from his first year a second time, Nicholson continued his success his sophomore year by making himself the first Bison since 1993 to win two ECAC titles in the same year. Nicholson landed himself 29 first place finishes in the 2011-2012 season and did not place less than second in the 200 IM, 400 IM, or 200 fly.

After attending the U.S. Olympic Trials over the summer of 2012, Nicholson returned to the University for his third season with aims to continue shattering both personal and school records. He continued to receive numerous accolades his junior year, epitomized by his five selections as Patriot League Male Swimmer of the Week. Nicholson broke ground by setting the school records for the 400 IM, 200 IM, and 200 breast at the Patriot League Championships before setting the 200 fly school record as well at ECACs. He concluded his junior year with placement in the top three of 32 of 34 regular-season races and was determined to keep improving for his last year as a Bison.

On Jan. 25, Nicholson traveled to Bethlehem, Pa. with the Orange and Blue to take on Patriot League opponent Lehigh. Nicholson made headlines with his times, winning three events and setting the Jacobs Pool record for the 200 IM. His victories helped the Bison conclude with a 179-119 win over Lehigh. This season, Nicholson attributes all of his personal success to that of the team, using it as motivation every time he enters the pool.

“Every time I step up to the blocks to race is an opportunity to score points for Bucknell. Our team has been so motivated all year, and that has really fired me up going into every practice and every meet, and I’ve been able to perform well because of this environment we have on our team,” Nicholson said.

After leaving the pool this weekend, Nicholson obtained 29 first place finishes for the season. He looks to increase this number within the near future, starting tomorrow at the Navy Invite. Many speculate as to where Nicholson’s career will go post-graduation, but he has made it clear that after winning a championship, he “will only get in a pool if laying in a float.”

Bison Profile:

Position: IM/Breast/Fly

Hometown: Chappaqua, N.Y.

High school: Horace Greeley

Major: Sociology and Economics

Stats:

2013-2014 Captain

Holds school record in 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 fly

Top 10 in program history in 1000 free

Tied for 75th out of 109 in the 400 IM at U.S. Olympic Trials

Three time First Team All-Patriot League selection

Two time Mid-Major Honorable Mention All-American

11 career Patriot League Male Swimmer of the week