Breaking the Bubble

Kerong Kelly, News Editor

International

Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta resigned on Feb. 14 just one day after the Democratic Party voted to replace him with the 39-year-old mayor of Florence, Matteo Renzi. (New York Times)

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni told members of his party that he would sign a bill that included punishments for homosexual acts. (New York Times)

University of the People, a free online institution received accreditation in time for the graduating class of seven students. (New York Times)

German Chancellor Angela Merkel proposed a European communications network to increase the protection of data. (BBC)

Boeing 767 with 202 passengers and crew landed in Geneva instead of original destination Rome by Ethiopian co-pilot seeking asylum in Switzerland. (ABC News)

Domestic 

Miranda Barbour and husband Elytte Barbour of Selinsgrove have been accused with killing Troy LaFerrara and at least 21 others in Craigslist slaying. (CNN)

In an effort to declare its obligation bonds as unsecured debt, the city of Detroit will be challenged in bankruptcy court on Wednesday. This could be a precedent in the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. (Reuters)

Sensors detected high radiation levels inside a nuclear waste storage site that is located in New Mexico’s desert. (Reuters)

Eric J. Barron, president of Florida State University and a climatologist, was announced as the new president of Penn State University on Feb. 17. (New York Times)