Class of 1956 Lectureship Recipient presents to community

Alessandro Andreani, Writer

Er-Dong Hu, associate professor of dance and the 2013 recipient of the Class of 1956 Lectureship, presented “East Meets West: A Voyage of Exploration,” on Feb 18. in the Elaine Langone Center Forum.

The Class of 1956 Lectureship was established in order to recognize inspirational teaching. Before coming to the University, Hu spent six years as a professor at the Beijing Dance Academy and was the principal dancer in the Dayton Ballet. His choreography has been performed both nationally and internationally. Hu received the Outstanding Performer Achievement Award from Dance Magazine in 1990, one of his greatest achievements.

Hu obtained his M.F.A. in Dance from the University of Iowa and his B.F.A. in Dance Education from the Beijing Dance Academy. His teaching focuses on ballet technique, pointe and variations, and dance composition. Hu combines different Eastern and Western dance forms. In some of his choreographed work, he also includes traditional Chinese dance forms, such as the elegant Water Sleeves and other Chinese props.

“Professor Er-Dong Hu represents the kind of teaching excellence for which Bucknell is known,” associate professor of theatre and dance Paula Davis said.

“By constantly challenging all students, actively collaborating with other student and faculty artists in creating original work, and always looking for opportunities to help out, Professor Hu exemplifies the role of a talented, caring, and inspiring teacher,” an anonymous student in support of Professor Hu’s nomination for the Class of 1956 Lectureship said.

“Teaching to Bucknell students, regardless of their major, is an incredible experience. Our teaching program is physically and mentally challenging, because it’s not just about teaching one thing, but different things, and I think that’s mind-opening. It makes you more focused, more disciplined, and wiser,” Hu said. “Dancing gives you such a great energy, it’s a great tool to express yourself, through the music, through the movement, through the enjoyment.”