Bison Athlete of the Week: Anthony Gingerelli ’15

Emily Evancho, Sports Editor

Some of the best things take time. This seems to be true for baseball outfielder, Anthony Gingerelli ’15 who joined the team as a sophomore. His late start didn’t hurt his talent; he began as a starting designated hitter in his first season as a Bison, evolving into a left fielder during April 2013. Today, he maintains the outfield, playing in five games this 2014 season and registering a .417 slugging percentage.

“Anthony is a hard working quality person who is always ready when his number is called,” head coach Scott Heather said.

Opening his first season as an Orange and Blue athlete, Gingerelli began his 2013 season by taking a starting position on the team. In the first part of the year, he played 15 games as a starting designated hitter and then 13 games in April as a starting left fielder. He finished the season successfully by posting a batting average of .284 which was the second best on the team. He also pulled in 29 hits, 13 runs, and a .353 slugging percentage. His season performance found him a place on the Patriot League All-Tournament Team.

This season Gingerelli has smacked two hits, taking five total bases. He also scraped through with a home run against No. 7 South Carolina for the team’s opening game of the 2014 season. Gingerelli and teammate Corey Furman ’14 were the only ones to post home runs during the double performance against South Carolina. So far, his slugging percentage stands at .417 and he also holds a .167 batting average, although that is sure to improve.

“He has adjusted well to playing the outfield after being an infielder in high school and he is one of our better hitters,” Heather said. “He came off the bench in the opening game against South Carolina and got two hits including a long home run.”

Beyond being a standout on the field, Gingerelli is also hard-working in his academics and his service to the University. As a Posse Scholar, Gingerelli has a dedication to his education, evident in his membership on the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll. He is also a member on the Bucknell Student Government.

Gingerelli and his teammates will continue with this season, heading into four games against Niagara on March 1 and March 2. It has proved to be a rough beginning, but the team hopes to improve their 1-4 record to eventually take home a winning season.

Bison Profile:

Hometown: Worcester, Mass.

High School: Burncoat

Year: 2015

Position: Outfield

Bats: Left

Throws: Right

Height: 6’1”

Weight: 170

Stats:

Batting Average: .167

Slug Percentage: .417

Hits: 2

Runs: 1

Homeruns: 1

Total Bases: 5