Early run sinks women’s lacrosse 10-4 to Villanova

Ajan Caneda, Senior Writer

The women’s lacrosse team dropped to 0-4 on the season after falling 10-4 to Villanova at home on March 1. The Bison have played against strong nonconference opponents to open the season, but several players are playing impressively as they head into their first conference matchup this weekend.

“My defense had an amazing game against Villanova. Our communication was so strong and we worked very well as a unit. My defense did everything I could ever ask from them. They were tight on the cutters and pressured the ball to the sides where I was able to make easier saves,” goalie Elizabeth Duswalt  ’17 said. “Unfortunately the outcome was not what we wanted but I couldn’t be prouder of how my defense played. Villanova will serve as a learning experience for our team.”

Villanova began the match on a 5-0 blitz after scoring three goals in the first half. A 31-16 shot advantage for the Wildcats contributed to the heavy scoring. The Bison earned their first goal at the 21:26 mark of the second half after Katelyn Miller ’14 scored an unassisted goal.

Madison Molinari ’17 and Emily Kookogey ’15 capitalized on the free position by scoring one goal apiece. Kookogey leads the team with seven goals this season. Miller, who is first on the team in points, concluded the scoring for the Orange and Blue at the 2:19 mark.

“Our solid team defense and Emily’s [Duswalt] improvement are two positives to take away from this game,” Kookogey said. “I think personally, I have improved mentally, which has helped me a lot during games.”

The Bison were able to register 11 shots in the second half, but Villanova turned 16 shot attempts into an additional seven goals. Despite the potent offense, Duswalt finished with a career-high 15 saves as she continues her strong first-year campaign.

“The adjustment to the college game was a little tough especially since we started out playing three top 20 teams. Seeing the shots that I faced in those games I think has prepared me really well for the season,” Duswalt said. “The entire team has been so supportive of helping the freshmen class adjust and they have all been helpful in giving advice to the adjustment.”

In addition to her two goals, Miller recovered five ground balls. The Bison held a 10-6 advantage in draw controls, but Villanova snagged 31 of 45 ground balls.

“Our defense and goalie [Duswalt] are coming up with huge stops and although our attack has a lot of young players, we are starting to figure out each other’s tendencies,” Miller said.

The Bison look for their first win of the season against Lehigh, their first conference opponent, tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Bethlehem.

“Playing such a strong schedule has given the team a great opportunity. We have learned so much from these games. I know being on the losing end is rough but the intensity that we have put into these games has benefitted our team so much,” Duswalt said. “The scores of those games do not reflect us as a team; they do not show the hustle and hard work put in. In order to be a top team you have to play top teams.”