Bison Athlete of the Week: David Dickson ’15

Doug Hendry, Assistant Sports Editor

The men’s lacrosse team is looking to push the Bison further onto the national scene, and David Dickson ’15 is one key starter leading that charge forward. Along with bringing in a veteran presence to this Bison squad, Dickson has recently been put on the watch list for the Tewaaraton Trophy, awarded to the national player of the year.

Even with that prestigious nomination, Dickson has been making headlines with the lacrosse team since his first year. Appearing in all 16 games his rookie season, he landed a spot on the All-Patriot League Second Team while ranking second in the nation for assists by a first-year player. In his sophomore campaign, Dickson stepped it up another notch, earning First Team All-Patriot League and Third Team All-American honors. Starting all 16 games at midfield, his 48 assists were a Patriot League record. In 2014, Dickson looks to bring his team to a Patriot League championship.

“At this point in the year our goal is to host the Patriot League tournament. Once that is achieved we can focus on our long term goals of winning the Patriot League tournament and making a run in the NCAAs,” Dickson said. “Our team has set the bar very high and we want to put Bucknell lacrosse on the map. Our end goal, year in and year out, is to make it to the final four and ultimately to bring a national championship to Bucknell.”

The Bison have shown they have the potential to compete with the best teams in the nation, proving that with a 9-8 upset of No. 2 Cornell last season. Falling behind 5-0 early, Dickson assisted on Chase Bailey’s ’13 goal with one minute remaining to put the Bison ahead for good. With three assists on the day, it’s easy to see why Dickson is confident his team can make a deep run this year.

“I’d say the most enjoyable part about my on-field experience so far would have to be our win over No. 2 Cornell mid-way through last season. The game had its ups and downs, but we scored with time winding down to take the lead,” Dickson said.

The 2014 season is still young, and with a 2-2 record, the Bison were ranked in the top 20 just several weeks ago. There are still several marquee matchups upcoming. The next two games are against No. 16 Lehigh and at No. 8 North Carolina, and the Bison will take on No. 5 Loyola down the road. The Bison boast a strong in-conference and out-of-conference schedule, but Dickson believes the team is ready to compete. While he is looking to see how he fares in the Tewaaraton Trophy race, in the end, he knows it’s a team game.

“As for personal goals, I don’t really like to set too many. For the most part, I just want to enjoy the time I have with my teammates and to do my part in putting our team in a position to win games and reach our goals. Being a member of the Bucknell lacrosse team has been an amazing experience. I’ve made connections with the guys on this team that will last me a lifetime and I consider these guys to be my best friends.”

Bio:

• Number: 41
  • Height: 6’0”
  • Position: Midfield/Attack
  • Hometown: Greenwich, Conn.

2014 Stats:

• 4 games played/started
  • 3 goals
  • 4 assists
  • 7 points
  • 15 shots
  • .200 shot percentage

Career Stats:

• 36 games played
  • 25 goals
  • 78 assists
  • 103 points
  • First Team All-Patriot League
  • Third Team All-American