Rowing Program celebrate 30 years with 18th Annual Erg Armageddon

Jonathan Tewodros, Staff Writer

The women’s rowing and men’s rowing teams competed in the 18th Annual Erg Armageddon on March 1, as they celebrated the 30th anniversary of rowing at the University with parents, alumni, and guests all together in the Davis Gym. 

The women’s team showcased a stellar performance. Over 30 of their 47 competitors set personal records for 2,000 meters, which will be the distance of choice for the team throughout their spring season. Christina Hanlon ’14 broke a school record when she won the Varsity Lightweight event (7:27.8). Joining Hanlon in gold medal performances were Lindsey Aborn ’17 in the freshman lightweight event, Lauren Veith ’17 in the freshman openweight event, Victoria Kielty ’14 in the varsity openweight event, Laura Even ’14 in the coxswain event, and Carol Schoenecker ’11 in the alumni event.

“Once we return from spring break we will be competing every weekend through the spring semester. The whole team is excited to get on the water and start competing, and with the majority of the team setting new personal records at the Erg Armageddon, it created some positive momentum for both teams heading into spring break, as we are noticing the benefits of the training we have been doing on land for the past few months,” Assistant Women’s Rowing Coach Dan Wolleben said.

The men’s team also had a great turnout as they recorded 21 new personal bests out of 29 competitors overall. Two program records were broken by Billy Tyler ’15, who won gold in the varsity lightweight event with a new program record time of 6:17.8, and by Connor Corwen ’14 winning the varsity openweight with a new program record of 6:00.5. Joining those two in gold medal performances were Scott Serpico ’17 in the freshman lightweight, Nelson Norley ’17 in the freshman openweight, Quentin Backstrom ’17 in the coxswain, and John Kauffman ’11 and Will Twersky ’12 in a tie for the alumni event.

“This year has seen the guys complete the highest level of training of any season past or present–this progress showed at the race over the weekend,” Assistant Men’s Rowing Coach Scott Waters said.

Overall, both teams gained tons of momentum heading into the spring season as they wait for the rivers to thaw out and get ready to race every weekend for the remainder of the school year after they return from spring break. Training will continue over spring break when the women’s team will head down to the Occoquan Reservoir in Fairfax, Va. and the men will go to the James River in Richmond, Va.