Women’s Rowing Opens Season with Impressive Outcomes at Murphy Cup

Emily Evancho, Sports Editor

The women’s rowing team ventured into the water on March 29, braving rainy conditions to open the spring season. Performing in the Murphy Cup on the Cooper River in Camden, N.J., the Bison didn’t let the weather dampen their skill. The varsity eight captured a silver medal, the second varsity eight took home a gold medal, and the freshman eight earned a bronze medal.

The Orange and Blue raced seven boats in the event: a lightweight four, two freshman eights, a first, second, and third varsity eight, and a lightweight eight. Every boat that competed in the Murphy Cup contained at least one first year rower. The team’s performance given the young talent behind the oars hints at a strong season for the Bison.

Due to a lack of lightweight boats at the Murphy Cup, the lightweight four raced against non-weight-restricted athletes, meaning they competed at levels more challenging for them, like the varsity four event. Placing second in their heat, the lightweight four advanced to the final race and placed second.

For the three varsity eight boats, both first and second varsity eight advanced to the final race. The first varsity eight claimed second place behind Navy and the second varsity eight triumphed with a first place in the JV eight final race. As for the lightweight eight, they came in second in their heat after battling through a tight race and eventually won the petite final in 8:10.10, with a full seven seconds to spare before second-place Lehigh finished.

Now that the season has begun, the Orange and Blue will return to the boats tomorrow to compete against the squads from Drexel and Temple in the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, Pa.