New study abroad opportunities unveiled

Katey Duffy, Writer

The University’s Office of International Education announced three new Bucknell-in study abroad programs in Ghana, Athens, and Washington ,D.C. that are scheduled to start in spring 2015.

Director of International Education Stephen Appiah-Padi said that these programs originated in different ways, but the office has been working closely with the Assistant Provost to generate new programs that will promote further domestic and international exploration.

Bucknell-in Ghana will be a part of both the Economics and African studies departments. Associate Professor of Economics Nina Banks will lead the program titled “Migrations: From Africa to America and the (Re) Making of Community.” Students will explore the migration of people from Africa to the United States, and Ghana’s historical link to the slave trade will be a major focal point.

Bucknell-in Athens is a partnered program with Penn State University. The program entitled “Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies; Archaeology; History” will be led by Associate Professor of Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies Stephanie Larson.

“What better place to study classics [than] in Athens?” Appiah-Padi said.

The University also designed a program with American University to allow students to study “abroad” in the United States. This program will be based in Washington, D.C. where students will explore politics and policy in the nation’s capital. Students in this domestic program will take one class by a University professor. All other classes will be taught by professors at American University. This program is unique because students will be required to do an internship in Washington, D.C. while taking classes. In the classroom, students will learn how to apply for and seek internships.

Appiah-Padi hinted that the Office of International Education is in the process of creating another Bucknell-in program that will be based in New York City. Students will be expected to take classes at universities located in the city, and the program will have an internship component as well.

For more information on these programs, contact the Office of International Education at [email protected] or (570) 577-3796.