We do…greek!

Madeline Diamond, Assistant News Editor

The University’s Interfraternity Council (IFC) and Panhellenic Council held its second annual Go Greek Festival on April 5 in order to introduce first-year students to the Greek organizations.

The event featured a block party and carnival themed activities and food, including pottery painting, a tie-dye station, inflatable jousting, and a dunk tank. Throughout the day, the Chi Phi, Delta Gamma, and Alpha Delta Pi presidents were dunked in the dunk tank.

Students enjoyed a variety of snacks, such as churros, chicken fingers, and funnel cake. The campus food truck, The Flying Bison, was also available for students. A cover band provided music throughout the day.

A committee led by Director of Residential Education and Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Amy Badal planned the event. While the organizations worked together for the preparation of the event, each sorority and fraternity had their own table with different activities.

“The committee brainstormed activities to engage the potential new members with the Greek members,” Panhellenic Council President Erica Shartle ’15 said.

While it was not a formal recruitment event, Go Greek allowed each sorority and fraternity to familiarize students with their organization in a casual setting, as well as for members of different organizations to interact with each other.

“The Greek members stood at their own tables ready to answer any questions about their organization,” Shartle said.

Last year, the IFC and Panhellenic Council held the first Go Greek Fest event, which was located in the Lambda Chi Alpha and Kappa Delta Rho fraternity parking lot. Shartle noted that this remote location caused some issues with the event and its attendance. As a result, the planning committee decided to hold the Go Greek event outside of Seventh Street Café.

“I had a lot of fun at Go Greek Fest and enjoyed the food and music. While I definitely enjoyed the atmosphere and hanging out with the rest of the Greek community, I didn’t see as many freshmen as I hoped would be there. Hopefully next year more freshmen will attend so they can benefit from the event as well,” Rachel Seltzer ’15 said.

According to the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council, this year’s Go Greek Fest was considered to be an overall success due to its more organized planning and student attendance.