Friendsy and Tinder: new-age dating

Colette Brottman, Writer

There are different ways to approach the popular networking sites Tinder and Friendsy. The first is to “play,” which is how my friends and I use the app and website. Tinder allows you to be matched with students who don’t go to the University, and when I originally downloaded the app in December of 2012, it was mostly local Lewisburg residents and Lewisburg High School kids—so it was harmless fun. My first-year hall would “like” every person we saw, and we’d try to have the most bizarre conversations with our unknown matches. However, with Friendsy, there is a fear that if you are honest about your desire to date or hookup with someone, you will get the match and have to see them later on campus.

We go to a University where, for the most part, serious relationships may be hard to come by. Friendsy in particular allows students to hide behind their computers and admit a crush, but it is also holds students accountable to romantic feelings.

On Friendsy, the chance of matching “date” or “hookup” with someone I do not know worries me. Tinder, on the other hand, can be played with complete strangers, so the fear of running into them in the Bison 30 seconds after the match is less possible. But then the whole “stranger danger” issue comes into play. Maybe it is just the way I was brought up, but I would never meet up with my Tinder match, nor give them my cellphone number or any other personal information.

Tinder “likes” and “passes” are determined on physical appearance, whereas Friendsy clicks can be fueled by the gossip and heresay that exists at a small University like ours.

If we put aside our emotional insecurities, Friendsy would be the safest, most successful way to foster new relationships on campus. Until we allow ourselves to come to terms with our vulnerabilities, these apps will remain a superficial game to most.