BSG alters election policy

Madeline Diamond, Assistant New Editor

Bucknell Student Government (BSG) temporarily suspended their bylaws in order to postpone officer elections until the fall semester of 2014 due to logistical issues. Typically, elections for the upcoming school year take place at the end of the spring semester.  Due to BSG’s recent focus on its new constitution, the elections for this year have been postponed.

The current BSG bylaws state that spring elections must take place on or before the last day of classes, and results must take place by the end of the academic year. Elections for upperclassmen officers and representatives will now take place alongside first-year elections in the fall.

“Having a transparent and competitive election is important to BSG,” BSG President Loren Jablon ’15 said.

The release of the new constitution for student voting originally delayed elections, although BSG agreed to postpone them until next semester to ensure transparency and fairness.

Although the change is currently temporary, BSG is seeking to make the new election timeline permanent.

“It is our hope that this will become a permanent change, as BSG continues to progress and adapt to the current campus climate,” Jablon said.

The Vice President of Operations has the responsibility to “conduct all BSG general elections with the aid and oversight of the Internal Affairs Committee,” according to the BSG bylaws.

“[I] would rather postpone elections than rush to have them done in a sloppy manner,” Vice President of Operations Whitney Tatem ’15 wrote in an email to Congress.