Fitness Fest: New Gym Equipment

Amanda Relick ’17, Contributing Writer

Coming back to campus means getting back into a routine. At the University that means new classes, a lot of homework, spending time with friends, and–for many students–getting back to the gym. If you haven’t visited the Kenneth Langone Athletics & Recreation Center (KLARC), it looks different than it did last semester. The out-of-date and often out-of-order cardio machines have been replaced this year by almost an entire floor of new equipment just in time for the new academic year.

The second floor of the KLARC has always housed mostly cardio equipment ranging from bikes to elliptical machines, and treadmills. This year, new elliptical machines, step machines, treadmills, and stationary bikes, including those with interactive television screens, have been added. New machines have been added to the first floor of KLARC as well, although it still primarily houses treadmills. The majority of the new machines on the second floor are mostly brand new elliptical machines of differing kinds. The installation of the new elliptical machines stems from their growing popularity over the past couple of years.

In addition to the new cardio machines added to both floors of the KLARC, there are new stationary bikes for spinning classes located in the dance studio. The popularity of spinning classes on campus have been overshadowed by the finicky stationary bikes that would often break, causing less students to be able to attend the classes. Now with the new bikes installed, more students will be able to attend each class and will not have to worry about getting a broken bike.

New equipment means that visits to the KLARC will not have to be made unpredictable by faulty machines.

“I’m a fan of all of the new gym equipment because I don’t have to worry about any of the machines being broken or old,” Brittany Bowers ’17 said.

In addition, more machines is great news for busy students who don’t have time to wait in line for machines.

“I don’t have to worry about there not being enough machines or having to wait in line, which is nice when I only have a limited amount of time to spend at the gym,” Julia Lasko ’17 said.

Overall, students seem to be very pleased with and thankful for the little renovations to the KLARC. The updates made to the KLARC mark the beginning of a healthy start to the new fall semester.