Bingo Blingo’s back

Rachel Chou

The start of every semester calls for Bingo Blingo, a University tradition hosted by Activities and Campus Events (ACE). This semester, the event was a success, bringing students of all years together with a common goal: winning free prizes.

Over 450 people attended “Back to School Bingo Blingo” this year on Aug. 29 in hopes of winning fun prizes, including a 32-inch TV, an iPad mini, and a $200 gift card to Barnes & Noble.

“The high stress of Bingo Blingo was well worth it when winning one of the most coveted prizes,” said El McCabe ’16, who won the $200 gift card to Barnes & Noble. “It’ll definitely go towards textbook expenses, and maybe something fun!”

Like McCabe, some may consider the crowded Bostwick Marketplace brimming with competitive young hopefuls a stressful event, but others may see it as a stress reliever from the first week of school.

This year, Terry Bennett ’15 and Sam Cowans ’15 were the bingo callers facilitating the event. Some students experienced a void without Raffi Berberian ’14, a previous bingo caller who graduated last year.

“I think Raffi brought a certain presence and engagement that made it more fun and more of a good time in events before,” Melissa Rios ’16 said.

As a surprise, both first-years and sentimental upperclassmen alike got to see and hear Berberian one more time, who Skyped in for a quick shout-out during the event.

Next, ACE is hosting Michael Palascak, a comedian who has appeared on many popular talk shows including “The Late Show” with David Letterman and “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno. He was also the winner of Comedy Central’s Open Mic Fight in Chicago. The event will take place in the ELC student space tomorrow night at 9 p.m.