Dining Services updates bring mixed reviews

Gillian Feehan, Campus Life Editor

A new school year means another round of changes to University dining.

The Bison has a new opening time of 10:30 a.m. and no longer serves breakfast. Instead, Bostwick Marketplace is now offering an à la carte breakfast from 6 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on weekends. The new breakfast is set up by the uphill register to make on-the-go breakfast more convenient for customers. The new à la carte breakfast offers the most popular breakfast items that were previously offered in the Bison.

“Á la carte breakfast items can be purchased using Campus Dollars, Dining Dollars, credit or debit card, or cash—a meal plan is not required. The prices of the à la carte items are the same as they are in the Bison,” John Cummins, the general manager of University Dining Services, said. “As with all of Dining Services, we take guests’ comments very seriously. Feedback just within the first week has resulted in the addition of bottled water, hand fruit, and other items to the menu.”

Since many students enjoy meeting and eating in the Bison, the Bison seating space will also be open daily from 6 a.m. until closing. Students are more than welcome to bring their à la carte breakfasts there to eat and socialize.

Also, the Bison has a new addition called Bada Basil where the old pasta and pizza stations were located. Bada Basil features Italian street food inspired wraps and pasta bowls. Bada Basil still offers students’ favorite, customizable pasta bowls, but the fresh ingredients are already cooked and ready to go in order to speed up service.

Students will still be able to eat their favorite dinners from last semester such as BBQ, pizza, and mac and cheese. Smokehouse BBQ will now be served in the same space as the Daily Dish from 5 p.m to 8 p.m. Pizza is available at the East Street Deli all day, and students will still be able to enjoy Mac and Cheese Monday at the Daily Dish station every Monday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Additionally, Seventh Street Café acquired a brand new Chobani yogurt bar. Students can fill up bowls of Greek yogurt and select from a variety of healthy toppings such as fruits, nuts, granola, and honey.

Finally, the Flying Bison will now be open three nights a week—Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday—from midnight to 3 a.m. The Flying Bison will be located at the intersection of Sixth Street and St. George Street.

Many students currently have mixed reviews about the new dining updates.

“The Chobani bar is great! I like the variety it adds to the Seventh Street dining options, but I don’t like all the changes to the Bison. I don’t understand why they got rid of the stir fry station. It was my favorite thing and knowing it wouldn’t be there would have affected the meal plan I chose,” Mary Morris ’15 said. 

Students are encouraged to learn about and check out these new dining initiatives, and if students have comments or suggestions regarding the à la carte menu or any other dining service, they are encouraged to fill out a comment card in Bostwick or the Bison.

“Our whole edict is that [University dining] is never going to stay the same,” David Freeland, the University Dining district manager, said.