Women’s Soccer Wins First Game Against Monmouth; Falls to Rider, UMBC

Doug Hendry, Sports Editor

Sisters Jackie Ham ’18 and Kendall Ham ’18 each scored in their second collegiate game in a 2-0 win on Aug. 29 against Monmouth. The first victory of the season was followed by defeats at the hands of Rider (1-0) on Aug. 31 and UMBC (2-1) on Sept 2.

The bench played a vital role in the victory against Monmouth. Monmouth lost only two games last season as MAAC Champions, but were shutdown by the Bison defense. Lauren Dandie ’16 played the entire game as the leader of the defense, while Kelsey Witt ’17, Brigit Falcon ’15, and Courtney Nelson ’15 helped stop any opposing attacks.

K. Ham pushed the ball past the keeper just inside the left post in the first half to give the Bison a 1-0 lead. Madison Loos ’16 earned her first career point with an assist on the play. J. Ham finished the scoring in the 83rd minute with an assist from her sister with a high ball over the defense. Jessie Ashworth ’16 earned the shutout in goal, making five saves in total.

“It’s great to have a win, but we still have a long season ahead of us, and a lot more to accomplish,” said Falcon.

The Bison defense continued its excellent play against Rider two days later, but an early goal in overtime helped give Rider the victory in Lawrenceville, N.J. Ashworth added another four saves in this game, but the winning goal slipped through 9:07 into the overtime period.

Evelyn Nicinski ’15 tallied four shots, including two on goal, but the opposing goalkeeper was able to stop anything that came her way. Still, the Bison controlled the game offensively, outshooting Rider 15-6 while taking eight more corners.

Playing in their third game in five days, the Orange and Blue returned to Emmitt Field on Sept. 2 to take on UMBC. Unfortunately, two first-half goals for UMBC proved to be too large of a hill for the Bison to climb.

The game was originally marred by an intense downpour and lightning storm and didn’t start until 80 minutes after its original start time. The playing conditions were wet and tough to play in, but both squads did their best to battle the elements. UMBC seemed to have a better time on the field in the first half, leading 2-0 at the break.

The Bison outshot their opponents yet again, this time by a 19-5 margin. Only one of those 19 shots found its way into the back of the net. Nicinski netted her first goal of the season in the 88th minute from a curling strike 28 yards out. Maddie Mulford ’18 and Nelson assisted on the play.

The Bison (1-3) remain at home to take on Robert Morris tonight at 7 p.m. and Mount St. Mary’s on Sept. 9.

“As for getting to above .500, we just need to capitalize on the offensive opportunities we have and really own our defensive third,” said Falcon.

(Visited 42 times, 1 visits today)