University begins new Greek tradition

Cooper Josephs, Assistant News Editor

The University implemented a new tradition on Sept. 6: the Fraternity and Sorority Welcome Dinner. The event was held in Sojka Pavilion, and attendees enjoyed dinner while listening to multiple key speakers.

A new Fraternity and Sorority Community Promise and Bucknell Greek icon were also introduced. The IFC Executive Boards constructed the Promise and the Icon in accordance with the University Greek system’s core values. Please visit www.bucknellian.net to view the new emblem and Fraternity and Sorority Community Promise.

“No official initiation occurred before this year. We wanted something more formal which would help harness the Greek community on campus,” Panhellenic Council Senior Representative Jasmine King said.

Dinner speakers included University President John Bravman, Panhellenic President Erica Shartle ’15, IFC President JT Engles ’15, and Associate Dean of Students Amy Badal. According to the IFC Council, over 800 people attended the event.

The idea for the Fraternity and Sorority Welcome Dinner stemmed from several committee meetings, which included fraternity and and sorority presidents, Panhellenic Council, and IFC Council members. Planning for the event started last semester. All event details were validated hours before the event, according to Shartle and Engles.

The dinner commenced with a meet-and-greet at 6 p.m. at Sojka Pavilion. Hors d’oeuvres and beverages were served. After members were seated, Badal gave a welcome speech.

After dinner, Bravman highlighted Greek life’s potential impact on each University student and the community as a whole.

“There are values and social norms that endure. But there are also ones that need to be changed over time. Only you can make the decision about which are which,” Bravman said.

Bravman congratulated students on becoming part of a University tradition, but stressed the importance of finding a healthy equilibrium between individuality and unity.

“Like anything good in life, it’s what you bring to the party, not what the party brings to you. If you give of it who you are … you will benefit, your organization will benefit, and Bucknell will benefit,” Bravman said.

After the speeches were drawn to a close, fraternity and sorority members placed a gold pin emblazoned with the University’s new Greek Icon on the person sitting next to them. Members then recited the Fraternity and Sorority Community Promise in unity.

“The $20,000 event was funded by President Bravman, the Dean’s fund, and Fraternity and Sorority Affairs,” King said.

“I think it was a nice idea to get the Greek community together,” Tegan Stanbach ’17 said.

So far, there are 314 new sorority members and 216 fraternity members, according to King and Assistant Director of Fraternity Affairs Glenn Skinner. Fraternity members are expected to increase throughout the next couple of weeks due to rolling recruitment, according to Badal.