Construction continues uphill

Brianna Marshall, Senior Writer

Construction continues on South Campus Residence Hall, the latest addition to the University’s residential life facilities. Located behind Bertrand Library, South Campus will be home to four residence halls as well as a commons building. These new housing options are expected to be complete by Aug. 1, 2015.

The new residence halls were designed with the intention of providing more independent living options for juniors and seniors. South Campus seems to be an improvement on the gateways by offering apartment-style living within the atmosphere of a residence community. The first floor of each building will be dedicated to student interaction with a “hearth space” and the suite style apartments are designed around a central common room. Both unique spaces offer places for socializing and residential interaction, promoting a feeling of community.

The increased distance of South Campus from existing campus buildings will be addressed by the addition of many amenities to the new residential quad. The commons building will contain a small dining facility and convenience store to better meet student needs. Recreational options will include basketball and volleyball courts. By adding more student spaces to campus, South Campus could become an option for student gatherings and events.

While South Campus will provide an excellent opportunity for upperclassmen to live on campus, downtown senior housing will no longer be an option for many students. South Campus will contain 88 apartments, providing living space for approximately 340 juniors and seniors. As a result, only 250 students will be approved to live off campus for the 2015-2016 academic year. Moving upperclassmen from downtown and downhill locations has the potential to initiate an interesting change in campus culture.

“As a rising senior, I’m excited but keeping my expectations in check for the new housing,” Grace Sweetser ’16 said. “My friends and I are looking forward to having a place that’s all for seniors and to not be split up around and off campus. I really hope the senior housing is more that just more gateways, but they look good so far!”