Athlete of the Week – Nick Bybel Men’s Tennis

Jennifer Lee, Assistant Sports Editor

Nick Bybel ’16 is no stranger to the winner’s circle. Entering his third year at the University, the men’s tennis star has become a standout in both singles and doubles. His first year, Bybel’s impressive performance earned him the conference’s Rookie of the Year award, the only player to receive this award in Bison men’s tennis.

He followed up this strong showing with an even more outstanding sophomore year, where he was named to the All-Patriot League First Team. Bybel started out the fall season as the only player to be invited to the prestigious ITA All-American Championships. He went 26-9 in singles play for the 2013-2014 regular season, shattering the program’s previous record. Bybel managed to finish off his sophomore season in style with eight consecutive wins. He was a perfect 5-0 in singles league play, making him the only undefeated No. 1 player.

While Bybel proved himself to be a star on the court, he shines just as bright in the classroom. In the spring season, he was one of six players in the league to be named to the Academic All-Patriot League team. A day later, he was chosen to receive the Patriot League’s highest honor for an unmatched on-court performance, winning the 2014 Player of the Year award. At the end of his second year in Orange and Blue, Bybel had a team-high .672 winning percentage.

Now in his third season as a Bison, there isn’t much stopping his skilled play. After being named a captain for the 2014-15 season, Bybel opened the year with a victory in the A Singles flight at the Bucknell Invitational. Refusing to falter, he went on to claim the Flight 1 Singles title, before teaming up with Maxwell Kane ’18 to earn the Flight 1 Doubles title in the St. Joseph’s Invitational.

“I am really happy the way that the season is going individually and also as a team,” Bybel said. “So far we have captured 5 titles; 2 singles titles and 3 doubles title. I am really looking forward to spring season with the team. We have five freshmen this year and every single one of them has a passion to get better everyday. The sky is the limit for this team and I am looking forward to the damage that we can do when the patriot league season comes around.”

With a lot of playing time still left in his career at the University, Bybel has already left a tremendous mark on the program. Leading by example, he continues to push his teammates towards success. Bybel’s previous performance predicts added success in the final two years in his collegiate career, as he continues his brilliant play en route to shattering team records.

Bio:

• Hometown: Lancaster, Pa.

• High School: Hilton Head Christian Academy (S.C.)

• First Singles, First Doubles

2014 Stats:

• Bucknell Tournament – Flight A Singles Champion

• St. Joseph’s Invitational – Flight 1 Singles Champion

• St. Joseph’s Invitational – Flight 1 Doubles Champion