‘Paint Bucknell Pink’ kicks off Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Margaret Ekblom, Staff Writer

In support of breast cancer research and awareness, Colleges Against Cancer organized a 5K walk/run on Sept. 28 during Family Weekend. The 5K took place at the Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium, which was decorated with pink. T-shirts for the event were sold in the Elaine Langone Center Mall throughout last week and during the event.

Chloe Polite ’16, the Cancer Education Chair, started planning the event last spring and began implementing the full plans in August before classes started.

“Paint Bucknell Pink was yet again a success. After being involved with Colleges Against Cancer for three years, it has been great to have the continued support from the Bucknell community at this event. Having the event on Parents’ Weekend and having a cause that is important to so many people makes it easy to attract a crowd,” President of Colleges Against Cancer Sarah Andrews ’16 said.

Over 150 people attended the event, including both volunteers and participants in the 5k.

“The best part of the event was how many families came and supported us. My family from California came and made the event even more special. Having the event on Parents’ Weekend definitely showed us that so many people are affected by breast cancer and this was a great way of supporting the cause with their families,” Polite said.

The next major event for Colleges Against Cancer will be Relay for Life during the spring semester.