Family Weekend Draws Record Crowd

Barbara Bell, Sports Layout Editor

This year’s Family Weekend brought out sunshine, smiles, and family from all over the country.

A comprehensive program for events was scheduled from Sept. 26 through Sept. 28. The campus had a record number of registered guests for this year’s Family Weekend: 3,736. The University issued a statement on its website after the festivities, saying “Opportunities for parents and families to engage with their student were seemingly endless with bike rides, canoe trips, faculty snap talks, tailgate with interactive spaces run by faculty, athletic events and more. Thank you to all who attended.”

The Campus Activities and Programs (CAP) Center sponsored four events through Activities and Campus Events (ACE) and Uptown. ACE hosted Christy’s A Capella Concerts on Sept. 26 and Sept. 27.

“Both concerts were a huge success,” Chelsea Brown, assistant director of CAP said.

“We packed the chapel both nights and over 1,300 people got to enjoy the incredible talent of our groups,” Stephanie Houser ’16, student coordinator of the event, said.  

Additionally, Uptown sponsored a Pub Night on Sept. 26 and a Casino-themed evening on Sept. 27.

“The feedback we received from both students and families commented on the amount of fun and overall feel of the space. Parents were impressed by the event and the services that Uptown did and can provide to Bucknell students,” Mike Duignan, director of CAP said.

Other highlights from the weekend included the tailgate and football game against Cornell University, and the improv show.

“My parents and I went to [see] We Brake for Nobody and it was a lot of fun. The performers were great,” Kyle Raudensky ’16 said.

Additionally, the football team moved ahead to a 4-0 winning streak. Fans, students, and alumni alike packed the stadium to watch the Bison defeat Cornell 20-7. There was also a giant tent, complete with food, a dance floor, and music throughout the evening and during the WE DO Family Party.

“It was great spending time with my family and catching up with all of the events and activities Bucknell had to offer. I was impressed,” Danielle Rosenblum ’18 said.