Volleyballs falls to unbeaten Lehigh, sweeps Lafayette

Ally Furbay, Contributing Writer

The volleyball team took on Lehigh in Bethlehem on Oct. 3, falling 3-0 (25-15, 25-13, and 25-20). The Mountain Hawks made few mistakes, making it hard for the Bison to keep up. However, just one day later, the Bison took down Lafayette 3-0 (25-16, 28-26, and 25-17). This was the first time the Bison swept the Leopards since 2011.

Although the Orange and Blue fell quickly against Lehigh, the team still had solid performances. Luz Nagle ’18 came off the bench to step in as setter and finished with 14 assists. Kristen Parks ’17 and Hana Sawanobori ’18 both ended the day with a team-high of nine digs apiece.

“I believe that being a young team can only play in our favor because it gives the younger girls bigger roles and forces us to be leaders,” Nagle said. “We also have more time to learn from experience on the court, and this will definitely help us for the future. This team is getting better every day.”

Against Lafayette, the Bison came out strong and energetic in the first set, came back from behind to win the second set, and quickly put away the last set to clinch the win. Erika Eastley ’17 played a large role, totaling eight kills and four blocks, including the set-winning block in the second set.

Parks was the defensive heart and soul of the Bison, especially during the second comeback set. Karen Campbell ’16 stood out as a leader, coming up with key plays when the team most needed them.

“Having the experience from playing since my freshman year has helped me to become an experienced player on the court,” Campbell said. “I just know that my team can rely on me to stay relaxed in stressful situations, and I think that’s how I contribute best to the team; by being reliable in those types of situations.”

After a busy weekend, the Orange and Blue are 3-11 overall and 2-4 in the Patriot League. Important Patriot League play continues as the Bison will take on Loyola on Oct. 11 in Baltimore and host Colgate on Oct. 13 at 4 p.m.