Women of SNL to headline CenterStage

Madeline Diamond, News Editor

The Campus Activities and Programs (CAP) Center and Activities and Campus Events (ACE) announced that “Saturday Night Live” (SNL) cast members Aidy Bryant and Sasheer Zamata will headline this year’s Center Stage event on Oct. 18. Center Stage typically features comedians and student performers.

Center Stage has historically featured stand-up comedy, although this will be the first year it hosts female performers. Bryant is a current “SNL” repertory player and Zamata is a featured player in the cast. This is also the first year that Center Stage will feature two headliners.

“I was really passionate about getting a female performer,” Student Chair of ACE Shiri Levine ’16 said. “This year is the year of firsts. 

The CAP center works closely with members of ACE to choose performers they believe will appeal to students.

The evening will begin with performances by student a cappella groups. Food provided at the event will include soup bread bowls, cookie dough on a stick, and s’mores. Although last year’s event was held indoors due to bad weather, Center Stage will be held outdoors this year, as per tradition.

“We keep everything traditional; people look forward to the food and the atmosphere,” Levine said. The comedians, a cappella performances, and food appear to equally draw students to the event each year, according to CAP Director Mike Duignan.

“The history of Center Stage is an opportunity for students on campus to come together, as a culminating fall event,” Duignan said.

Throughout the past several years, Center Stage has featured performers affiliated with NBC, including “SNL” cast members and actors from “Parks and Recreation,” among other shows. The University continued its relationship with NBC this year with its choice of comedians.