Stop the Hate

Madeline Diamond, News Editor

University students and faculty marched together in the 16th annual Stop the Hate Unity Rally on Oct. 7. The rally was sponsored by the Social Justice Residential College and Lewisburg’s Community Alliance for Respect and Equality (CARE) and CommUnity Zone. This years’ rally had a specific focus on domestic violence awareness.

The rally attracted a diverse group of students from campus, including representatives from the Black Student Union and the Gay Straight Alliance. University President John Bravman and Lewisburg Mayor Judy Wagner were also in attendance, exemplifying the connection between the University and Lewisburg. Both Bravman and Wagner spoke at the event.

Students met at the Elaine Langone Center (ELC) and marched into town, carrying posters with positive and supportive messages, many of which were about domestic violence.

Aside from the initial march, there were also several student performances at the rally. Dejda Collins ’16 performed spoken word, stating that women are more than the clothes they wear and how men judge them. Another speaker, Anthony Le ’16 performed a poem that exposed the societal standards of beauty. Many of the performers and speakers shared personal experiences with oppression and discrimination, and expressed these feelings artistically. Aside from spoken word pieces, student musicians also performed for the community in attendance.

“The Rally performances identified some forms of oppression people were marching against, and the poem performances were a fantastic, artistic way for people to express the pain they have felt and continue to feel because of hate,” said Amanda Battle ’18, who is part of the Social Justice Residential College.

After the rally, students were given the opportunity to view the film “Bully” at the Campus Theatre. This showing was co-sponsored by the University’s Film/Media Series.

According to a flyer for the event, the Stop the Hate Rally calls for people to “act nonviolently as agents of healing in their communities, speak up for the victims of hatred and intimidation, and raise a united voice against hate-inspired violence.”