Frankenstein Preivew

Gillian Feehan, Campus Life Editor

“Frankenstein” is a 1931 horror film based on the play by Peggy Webling, which is loosely based on Mary Shelley’s 1818 novel of the same name. James Whale directed the film, which stars Colin Clive as Henry Frankenstein, Mae Clarke as Elizabeth, John Boles as Victor Moritz, and Boris Karloff as Frankenstein’s monster. Frankenstein was a big hit in its time and is still regarded as one of the best horror films to date.

The film is set in 1894 in Nyon, Switzerland. Frankenstein, a young scientist, and his assistant, Fritz, create a “human” in Frankenstein’s laboratory out of various body parts and a criminal’s brain. After many tests, Frankenstein is successfully able to bring the “human” to life. As the monster comes to life and rises up off Frankenstein’s operating table, a crash of thunder sounds, the “human” begins to move, and Frankenstein screams his famous phrase, “It’s alive!”

Unfortunately, Frankenstein soon realizes that his creation is a monster and is unfit to live in society. The rest of the film highlights the misfortunes of many people at the hands of the monster and the subsequent attempts to rid it from society.

“Frankenstein” was a groundbreaking film in its time, garnering applause and praise from the majority of critics and ordinary viewers alike. Compared to other films of its time, “Frankenstein” had more violence, but still maintained realism. The movie was so violent, in fact, that it became incredibly controversial, and a few states even cut scenes from the movie.

In addition to the 1931 film, many sequels, adaptations, and parodies of “Frankenstein” have been made, including “Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein” (1994) and “Young Frankenstein” (1974). Many versions of Frankenstein exist, but people continue to watch the 1931 film, and many high school students view this movie in their English classes. The film’s wide popularity, even including the sequels and more recent adaptations of “Frankenstein,” is a true testament to its value and timelessness.

Additionally, the lessons in “Frankenstein” are still applicable today. As technology continues to dominate our daily affairs, we should reflect on the disaster that was Frankenstein’s monster and remain wary of the disastrous outcomes that arise when experiments are taken too far.

“Frankenstein” will be playing in the Campus Theatre on Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. with a $2 admission as part of the University’s Film/Media Series.