Revolution Redefined

Margaret Ekblom, Staff Writer

“Orange Is the New Black” actress and LGBTQ activist Laverne Cox will speak at the University on Jan. 22 to speak about her journey and advocacy for LGBTQ issues and how it has impacted her career and personal life.

The event will take place at 7:30 p.m. in the Weis Center. Cox’s talk is titled “Ain’t I a Woman: My Journey to Womanhood” and will be free to students and the public. Tickets will be distributed on a first come, first served basis at 6:30 p.m. for seating purposes. Following Cox’s talk, there will be a reception with a question and answer session.

The talk will be part of the Bucknell Forum’s newest speaker series, Revolution Redefined. Jane Goodall, who spoke at the University in September, started the new series. The series focuses on enriching students’ perspectives of the real world and bringing inspiring lectures to students.

“We have a task force that [is comprised of] students, faculty and staff members who work to select speakers to invite to campus that will speak to the current theme of the series,” Assistant Vice President for Communications Andy Hirsch said.

“Orange Is the New Black” is the first television show that features a reoccurring character that is a trans-woman of color, and this has heightened the show’s popularity. The acclaimed Netflix show has garnered Cox an Emmy nomination.

“We are truly excited to have Laverne Cox as our next Forum speaker. Many of us know Cox for her role as Sophia Burset in the hit Netflix production, ‘Orange Is the New Black.’ But as a trans woman and a leading transgender advocate, Cox’s story speaks well to the current Bucknell Forum theme, Revolution Redefined, which seeks to explore social change and how individuals can make meaningful, lasting impacts on society,” Hirsch said.