Campus Life: Sam Bush Band

Gillian Feehan, Campus Life Editor

Sam Bush Band came to the Weis Center for the Performing Arts as a part of the University’s annual homecoming concert on Oct. 31. Sam Bush is a Grammy-winning multi-instrumentalist. He is also a bluegrass artist and regarded as the King of Newgrass.

People of all ages filled the seats of the Weis Center for Bush’s performance. The crowd consisted largely of alumni, but many current students also decided to spend their Halloween at the concert.

Sam Bush Band played a wide variety of catchy bluegrass tunes, including “Freight Train Boogie” and “Nashville Blues.” Anyone who took a look around the Weis Center could find their fellow audience members bobbing their heads in their seats and dancing along to the music.

Aside from having amazing vocals, the Sam Bush Band consistently showed off its instrumental skills throughout the performance—especially in the song “Blue Mountain.” Many of the Band’s songs involved long instrumental sections where each member of the band was able to show off his talents on instruments such as the mandolin and the fiddle. The musicians played at an incredibly fast pace and impressed the audience with their relentless picking skills.

“I never thought I would be a bluegrass fan, but to be honest, this band has changed that for me. The performance was outstanding and I think I’m going to start listening to more of this type of music from here on out. It was just so great being around friends with such good music,” Mohammed Elnaiem ’16 said.

The next event in the Weis Center’s 2014-15 Series is a performance by Nellie McKay and Turtle Island Quartet on Nov. 7 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for students and can be purchased online or at the box office.