Fall Sports Awards

By Eric Brod

Senior Writer

As the fall sports season comes to a close, a multitude of Bison have earned all-conference honors for their success this season.

Kelly Bruvik ’11 earned several honors to represent the field hockey team this fall, most notably a unanimous selection to the All-Patriot League team. Bruvik posted team and career highs in goals (10) and assists (26) during the regular season. She was also named to the NFHCA All-Mideast Region team.

Bruvik attributed much of her success to her team’s offensive system and her teammates.

“We play a unique system on the forward line that allows five or six forwards to contribute in different combinations every game,” she said. “Each player brings a special skill set and this allows for great things to happen. Having the opportunity to play with Katie Durkin [’13], Mallory Smith [’12] and Morgan Kauffman [’11] this year on the forward line was fantastic. We all play at a fast pace and this allowed for a great deal of my individual offensive success this season.”

Christa Matlack ’11 and midfielder Caitlin Holtz ’11 represented the women’s soccer team on the All-Patriot League first team. Matlack led the team in goals (seven) and points (17).

Stephanie Fulmer ’12 had another sensational season for the Bison cross country team that earned her first team all Patriot League. And despite an up and down season, Rachel Rodriguez ’11 represents the Orange and Blue volleyball team on the Patriot League All-Tournament team, and Heidi Kamp ’11 is a First Team All-Patriot League selection.

Brendan Burgdorf ’13 and Ross Liberati ’11 both earned first team All-Patriot league selections for the men’s soccer team. Burgdorf was also named 2010 Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year. Burgdorf was tied for the league lead in both goals (six) and points (14). Defender Mayowa Alli ’14 was named Patriot League Rookie of the Year.

Burgdorf was honored by the All-Patriot League nod. “[The Patriot League] is a great league and there are a lot of good players that deserved it, so I was happy to be one of them,” he said.

Three members of the Bison men’s water polo team were named to the Collegiate Water Polo Association All-Southern Division Teams. Richie Hyden ’11, Howie Kalter ’11 and Sean Coghlan ’11 were all named to the team, while head coach John Abdou was named the conference’s head coach of the year. Hyden finished the season with team high 52 goals, 37 assists and 89 total points. Kalter was also named to the First Team All-Eastern Championship.