Snowy conclusion to Patriot League semifinals for women’s soccer

Bethany Blass, Staff Writer

After a heavy snowstorm in Hamilton that delayed the beginning of the game, the women’s soccer team fell 2-1 to top-seeded Colgate in the Patriot League Semifinals on Nov. 7.

Courtney Nelson ’15 scored her first goal of the year on a breakaway to tie the game up at one in the 63rd minute before the Bison were scored on again to give Colgate the one-goal win. The Orange and Blue finished the season with a 10-9-2 overall record.

“I was extremely proud of my team playing so hard in tough conditions, scoring a great goal to tie the match, and seeing them fight until the very end,” head coach Ben Landis said. “We’ve had a remarkable season with many, many positives, and some of those are how well we’ve overcome adversity like injuries and tough losses.”

Colgate took the lead in the 35th minute over the fifth-seeded Bison and held it until halftime, which was extended in order for plows to clear the field of snow. The Orange and Blue were able to gain some momentum at the start of the second half. Nelson stole the ball near midfield and had a 45-yard breakaway to score and tie the game.

“The highlight of the game for me was definitely scoring,” Nelson said. “When I saw my chance and took it, it paid off, and I had the craziest rush of adrenaline. It was just me and the goalie. I could hear the center back’s footsteps behind me, and one of their defenders was yelling at me from about 15 yards away towards the side. But then I shot, the goalie missed it, and my team had a little bit more hope.”

With just over 13 minutes left in regulation, Colgate scored to take the lead again. The Bison had some threatening plays in the final five minutes with three corner kicks but were unable to score.

“I couldn’t be prouder of my team,” goalkeeper Jessie Ashworth ’16 said. “Each and every player had a role in the success we had this season. But with that being said, we couldn’t have accomplished what we did without the leadership and dedication of our seven seniors.”

Ashworth totaled three saves for the Orange and Blue. The Bison had nine shots and nine corner kicks in the second half after being shutout in those categories during the first half. 

“We challenged our returning upperclassmen a year ago to redefine what it means to be a part of this program, and the manner in which they have done that and how it translated into great attacking soccer with positive results, on and off the field, has been amazing,” Landis said.

Colgate advanced to the conference finals against Boston University, but the Terriers claimed the title with a 2-1 win.

(Visited 86 times, 1 visits today)