Mountain Hawk Down: 4-0 rout of Lehigh guides men’s soccer into semifinals

Dominique Daniels, Staff Writer

After wrapping up its regular season on Nov. 8 with a 1-1 tie against No. 24 Boston University at home, the men’s soccer team traveled to Lehigh on Nov. 11 for a Patriot League quarterfinal match, coming away with a 4-0 victory.

In the final regular season match, All-Patriot League forward Jesse Klug ’16 scored his ninth goal of the season in the 49th minute to tie the game up at one. There was no more scoring in the second half, and Boston was a great test for the Orange and Blue heading into the conference tournament.

The Bison defense held its own against a strong Boston team that has not lost a game in the Patriot League all season. Seeding in the Patriot League Tournament had already been set, but this was a battle for momentum. Still, it was Senior Day, and for the first 25 minutes of the match, all of the senior Bison could be found on the field.

“The game against Boston University was an important one for us and particularly for our six seniors because it was the last time we would get to play at home. The Senior Day celebration went well, and it was great to see all the love and support from our families who have been there for us over the past four years,” said All-Patriot League midfielder Brian Ward ’15.

Coming off the emotional game versus Boston, the Bison took their talents to Bethlehem to take on Lehigh in a fourth- versus fifth-seed matchup in the Patriot League Tournament.

After falling to the Mountain Hawks 2-1 earlier in the year, the Orange and Blue turned it around and dominated the quarterfinal match. The match marked their most goals ever in a Patriot League Tournament game. 

The Orange and Blue defense stood tall, as Clarke Fox ’16 made three saves for his fifth shutout of the season. Lehigh held the shot advantage, but the strong defensive effort kept them scoreless.

A Lehigh own goal and a score by Jonathan Grad ’15 gave the Bison a 2-0 lead heading into halftime. Both goals were scored within a three-minute span. 

In the second half, the Orange and Blue continued to pour it on Lehigh. In the 65th minute, Chris Thorsheim ’16 scored on a free kick, and in the final minute, Klug put the nail in the coffin with one last goal to secure the victory.

“Our game against Lehigh earlier in the year was one that everyone on our team wanted a second chance at,” Ward said. “We did not close out that game the way we should have, and they ended up coming from behind to beat us. Once the playoff seeding was finalized, we were excited to have the chance at redemption, but also knew we would be going up against a confident Lehigh.”

The Bison hope to continue their recent success and fight for a spot in the finals when they face Navy on Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. in Boston.

(Visited 54 times, 1 visits today)