Harry Potter Spell Guide

By Courtney Flagg

News Editor

For those Muggles who are less educated in the Wizarding Arts, The Bucknellian is providing you with a simple yet informative basic spell guide.

Accio (Summoning Charm): A common charm used to summon an object (potentially over a large distance). In the Triwizard Tournament, Harry uses Accio to summon his Firebolt during the First Challenge.

Confundo (Confundus Charm): A charm, arguably abused by Harry and his friends, that causes the victim to become easily confused and prone to follow simple orders without thought. During Quidditch tryouts in Harry’s sixth year, Hermione casts a Confundus Charm on Cormac McLaggen.

Expecto Patronum (Patronus Charm): A charm that conjures an incarnation of the caster’s innermost positive feelings. These incarnations take the form of a “Patronus” and protect the caster from, most commonly, Dementors. A full-fledged Patronus takes the form of an animal that is typically significant to the witch or wizard casting the spell. Harry’s Patronus takes the form of a stag while Dumbledore’s Patronus takes the form of a phoenix.

Expelliarmus (Disarming Charm): The spell used to disarm another witch or wizard, typically by causing the opponent’s wand to fly out of reach. When cast with enough power, the spell can throw the victim backwards. Harry’s go-to spell is Expelliarmus.

Impervio (Impervius Charm): A spell that repels certain agents and outside forces, such as water. During Quidditch games on rainy days, Hermione would cast the Impervius Charm on Harry’s glasses so he could better see the snitch.

Levicorpus: A spell, created by Severus Snape, in which the victim is flipped upside-down and dangles by his or her ankles. While in Gringotts in Bellatrix’s vault, Hermione casts Levicorpus on Harry to lift him up and aid him in stealing the Cup of Helga Hufflepuff, a known horcrux.

Petrificus Totalus (Body-Bind Curse): A spell used to temporarily bind the victim’s body in a position similar to that of a soldier at attention. The spell does not restrict breathing or eyesight but typically causes the victim to fall to the ground. In Harry’s first year, Hermione uses Petrificus Totalus to prevent Neville Longbottom from stopping the trio from leaving the common room.

The Unforgivable Curses

Avada Kedavra (The Killing Curse): A curse that causes instant death to the victim. The curse leaves no trace of injury and is accompanied by a jet of green light and a rushing noise. The only known survivor of the killing curse is, you got it, Harry Potter himself.

Crucio (Cruciatus Curse): A spell that inflicts unbearable pain on its recipient. The extreme pain is unique to each person and is known as a popular form of torture among the Death Eaters. The pain has been described as being similar to the sensation of one’s bones catching on fire as well as the head being split open without sedation. In Malfoy Manor, Bellatrix uses Crucio to torture Hermione.

Imperio (Imperius Curse): A spell that causes the victim to obey the spoken or unspoken commands of the caster. The feeling of casting the spell, as described by Harry, is similar to controlling a marionette through a wand. It is extremely hard to resist the effects of the curse but (surprise!) Harry Potter has done it.