University to Kick Off Black in America Tour

Becky Tanner, Contributing Writer

The “Black in America” tour, presented by journalist and philanthropist Soledad O’Brien, will be held on Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts.  The event is sponsored by the Student Lectureship Committee, Bucknell Student Government (BSG) and the Campus Activities and Programs (CAP) center and is free to all University students and community members.

The University is the first stop on the tour, which will also visit seven other universities across the nation during the month of February. University students will be the first to probe the panelists regarding their experiences and beliefs.

Panelist alderman Antonio French has first-hand experience with the protests in Ferguson, Mo. and has documented the events. French will be discussing his involvement in the reports on Ferguson and the impact it has caused within the community and around the country. French has devoted himself to public service including the educational initiative to create The North Campus, modeled after the Harlem Children’s Zone to provide after-school tutoring, mentoring and enrichment services for more than 150 children.

Dr. Julianne Malveaux is the President Emerita of Bennett College for Women and is an economist, author, and commentator. She is focused on topics in women’s studies, civil rights, and public policy.

Malveaux currently serves on the boards of the Economic Policy Institute, The Recreation Wish List Committee of Washington, D.C., and the Liberian Education Trust. Coming from a background and focus on gender issues, Malveaux provides an alternative perspective for the recent events in Ferguson.

The last panelist is a surprise celebrity who plans to Skype in but will remain a secret until the actual event takes place. Additionally, a member of the University community will join the panel, which O’Brien will moderate.