Win over Loyola highlights improved Bison offense

Jaylen Amaker, Staff Writer

Audrey Dotson ’15, Megan McGurk ’17 , and Claire Maree O’Bryan ’16 led the Bison to a 66-49 victory over Loyola on Jan. 21. Coming off a loss to Army the Bison came out strong and dominated the Greyhounds. Dotson scored 13 points, McGurk had 10 points all in the second half, and O’Bryan added 13 points off the bench.

O’Bryan, normally a starter, came off the bench and added a much needed spark for the Bison. To go along with her 13 points on 4-for-7 from the field, she also grabbed six rebounds. The Bison bench was outstanding against Loyola, as it scored 29 of the team’s 66 points. Catherine Romaine ’18 scored a career high of eight points and was four of four from the field. Michele Impellizeri ’15 added three points, Sune Swart ’17 added three and Carly Richardson ’18 added two points.

The Bison offense was much improved tonight against Loyola. They finished the game 20-for-47 (42.6%) from the floor and their stout defense held the Greyhounds to just 16-for-62 (25.8%) from the field. The Bison also shot 50% from beyond the arc (8-for-16) after making only one three pointer against Army.

“These past few days of practice were great and we all knew we would play better tonight. Tonight’s game against Loyola was a big test to see how we  would bounce back from the Army game and I am proud of the girls, we truly showed some resilience,” Dotson said.

The Bison closed the first half on a 19-5 run which gave them a commanding 34-20 lead going into halftime. The Greyhounds came out strong in the second half with an 8-0 run in which they held the Bison scoreless for more than five minutes to start the half. The Bison quickly responded with a 13-2 run of their own pushing, their lead to 47-32 with about 10 minutes left in the game. Loyola would cut the deficit to as low as nine points making it 51-42 but another 12-2 sparked by two three pointers from McGurk sealed the game.  

The Bison were again impressive on the boards as they outbound Loyola (45-31). The Bison came into the game out-rebounding its opponents by an average of 9.5 more rebounds per game. Deboer had a team high 10 rebounds. The Bison also received a strong show from its freshmen class which combined to play 42 minutes. Jacqueline Klotz ’18 made her first career start in place and scored three points while grabbing five rebounds in just 20 minutes.

With the win the Bison improve to 12-6 overall, 4-3 in Patriot League play. The Bison will close out their two-game homestead Jan. 24 at 2 p.m. when they host Boston University.