Associate Dean Thomas Alexander to part ways with University

Brianna Crichton, Contributing Writer

Beginning in February, Associate Dean of Students Thomas Alexander will leave the University. The University plans to hire a new Associate Dean of Students for Diversity. After years of leading within the University’s International Student Services (ISS), Women’s Resource Center, Office of LGBTQ Resources, and Multicultural Student Services (MSS) and being responsible for the financial advocacy of students, Alexander is bringing his time here to a close as he looks toward new opportunities.

Alexander will be headed south as he begins his tenure as the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs at Florida A&M University. He says that his new position will entail “supervision of housing and residential life, student government, student activities, and campus recreation,” which he points out will be quite different from the responsibilities that he fulfilled at the University. He said that the new roles would essentially be equivalent to overseeing “the KLARC [and] CAP Center, along with the Housing and Residence life areas.”

Alexander expressed that he fully enjoyed working at the University, and could not distinguish just one favorite memory due to many that he has amassed. He has appreciated working with such great colleagues, voicing the fact that “everyone [he has] met across campus is committed to helping all students succeed.”

Even beyond his “relationships with the students, faculty, and staff” which he cites as the facet of the University he will miss most, Alexander also identified multiple specialized events in which he participated that he found to be meaningful and gratifying. These ranged from “student organization events, to meeting students and their families at the West Coast Bison Gatherings, to hearing internationally known lecturers and performers that come to campus, to simply celebrating the academic and personal accomplishments of our students.”