Restaurant Review: Peking Garden

Delaney Worth, Contributing Writer

The tantalizing smell of garlic greets you at the door of Peking Garden, a Chinese restaurant perched unassumingly on the corner of North Derr Drive and St. Mary Street. The dining room is spacious, warm, and elegant, with quiet couples mingling at wooden tables by the edges of the room, laughing over small piles of tender chicken and broccoli as they read their latest fortune cookie predictions.

It’s on weekends, though, that Peking Garden comes alive.
Tables are pushed together to make long rows, where groups of dressed-up college students chat loudly and excitedly before a formal. As an affordable but tasteful restaurant, the restaurant is the perfect venue for a party or celebration dinner. Known for its Chinese food, Peking has a huge menu that includes sushi and an array of healthy options. Zach Williams ’18 swears by the chicken with garlic sauce.
“A little spicy, but tasty,” Williams said. “It’s better than your average American Chinese fare, but since it’s so cheap, it’s the perfect option for before an event or something. We had a big dinner there before our cross country formal, and it was really nice. I get takeout there probably once a week.”
The chicken with garlic sauce is a very popular menu option, as well as the chicken with broccoli, spicy tuna sushi, General Tso’s chicken, and the vegetable fried rice.

“What I love most about Peking is the quick service and quality food,” Emily Ryan ’18 said. “It’s a good family restaurant too.”

Children have a plethora of options at Peking, with a specialized menu section that features dishes like honey chicken or fried chicken wings. With one of the friendliest and most eager staffs in Lewisburg, visiting this restaurant is almost a rite of passage for University students—a place to go on late nights, take that girl or guy on a first date, and dine on some tasty and comforting Chinese food. The plain-looking building on the corner doesn’t portray the warmth inside—don’t pass it up.