Athlete of the Week: Jack Fellows ’15

Lauren Whelan, Assistant Sports Editor

A standout since his freshman year, veteran track and field team member Jack Fellows ’15  has started his senior outdoor season with a bang. In the most recent meet of the season, Fellows won three eventsthe shot put, hammer throw, and discusto lead the Bison in the Jim Taylor Invitational on March 29.

These victories marked his fourth of the weekend, after he took first place in the discus at the Monmouth Invitational on March 28. In only the first weekend of the outdoor season, Fellows placed in the top three finishers in five different events.

“I was very happy with my performances especially for how early in the season they came and the fact that the weather conditions were less than ideal. I went into the Monmouth meet with the mindset of just trying to get a good opening mark in the shot and disc,” Fellows said. 

Success is nothing new for Fellows, who has recorded strong performances dating back to his debut in the 2011-2012 season. In the indoor stretch of his freshman year, Fellows established himself for the Orange and Blue, placing 10th in the Patriot League Championships.

He also garnered a first place win in the outdoor season of 2012, throwing his season best 48-6 to win the shot put at the Bloomsburg Maroon & Gold Invitational. In his sophomore season, Fellows continued to improve. Placing in the Patriot League Championships and IC4A Championships in both the indoor and outdoor seasons, one of his most notable performances that year came at Georgian Court when he threw a career best 51-4 1/4.

In his 2013-2014 season, Fellows earned All-Patriot League and All-East honors for his indoor performances before shining once again in his outdoor season. His stellar start to this year’s season suggests that his pattern of success will not stop there.

Looking ahead to the rest of the season, Fellows is determined and excited for what is to come. 

“My hopes are to place top three in all of my events at Leagues and make it to Regionals in at least one event,” Fellows said.

Next up for the Bison are the Colonial Relays at William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va. on April 3-4, where Fellows will look to continue his impressive streak.

STATS:

Position: Thrower

Year: 2015

Hometown: Cumberland Center, Maine

High School: Greely

Career Bests:

Fourth in indoor shot put (54-1.25)

Fifth in weight throw (62-3.75)

Third in discus (168-1)

Fifth in outdoor shot put (53-1.5)