Annual senior art show kicks off with “Kaleidoscope”

Sarah Rosecky, Contributing Writer

The senior art exhibition Kaleidoscope showcases the work of eight senior studio art majors and runs from April 7-26 in the Samek Gallery (third floor of the Elaine Langone Center). The exhibit is open Tuesday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Kaleidoscope is promoted by the Gallery Engagement Team (G.E.T.).

The theme of the event is to show the duality of our everyday lives through multiple lenses, as presented in a kaleidoscope. The artists were asked to show perfection, flaws, life, and death in a multitude of lenses to portray contradictions one might experience in modern life. Through the kaleidoscope idea, a diverse number of points of view are illustrated to represent the human condition. The dedicated artists transformed reality to make the audience view life with an alternate perspective.

An excerpt from the official text of the exhibition reads: Kaleidoscope seeks to present a variety of viewpoints that, while seemingly disconnected, are surprisingly interwoven into much of our daily life experiences. It acknowledges that just as it takes many words to create one story, it takes many minds to create one world. Look through the lens. Tell us what you see.

On April 17, there will be a panel discussion with the featured artists at 7 p.m. in the Gallery Theatre for them to explain their artwork and answer any questions from viewers. A reception will follow in the Samek Museum.

These events would not be possible without the work of the G.E.T. which, according to Danielle Retcho ’17, serves as a platform for student leadership as well as professional development … a unique opportunity to interact with the gallery staff and artists of the exhibitions in various settings.