Women’s track and field delivers, eyes PL Championship

Jaylen Amaker, Senior Writer

On the opening day of the Bison Outdoor Classic on April 11, the Bison turned in solid performances. Under the lights of Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium, Kate Scott ’17 posted a second place finish in the 5,000 meter run with a time of 16.52.80. Her time is good enough for the second fastest in Orange and Blue history, and also qualifies her for the ECAC Championships. Scott also qualified for the ECAC Championships in the 10,000m this season.

Kate VanNess ’16 will join Scott at the ECAC Championships, as she qualified with a 15th place finish in the 10,000 meter run with a time of 37.06.66. The Bison had two ECAC-qualifying throwers as well, with Dayna Simone ’16 placing sixth in the javelin with a throw of 138-8, and Sophia Nnadi’16 placing fifth in the discus with a throw of 141-7.  

The Bison continued their success on the final day of the Bison Outdoor Classic as they had four individuals and two relays place in the top five. The 4x400m and 4x800m relays took third place in their fields. The 4×400 relay team of Reagan Cerney ’17, Laura Papili ’17, Jamie Kenney ’18, and Sarah Chandler ’17 finished third out of 16 teams with a time of 3.57.52. The 4×800 relay team of Emma Cousins ’18, Grace Loh ’17, Morgan Roche ’15, and Kathleen Fitzgerald ’17 would follow suit with a third place finish out of 11 teams with a time of 9:19.44.

In the individual events, Efe Agege ’18 was the Bison’s top overall placer as she took third place out of 20 in the triple jump. Her jump of 39-6 was the best of all freshmen competing in the event. Jen Silvestri ’16 turned in another good performance despite already qualifying for the ECAC Championships. She placed fifth in the 400 meter hurdles while improving her time to 1.01.23. The Bison also received strong performances from Kim Nagotko ’15 and Abigail Brundage ’16. Nagotko took fifth in the 100 meter dash with a time of 12.29, and Brundage placed fourth in a field of 26 in the shot put with a heave of 43-5 ¾ .

“We have multiple people on our team qualifying for the ECAC Championships and that’s a great sign. It shows we are all competing at a high level as we prepare for the Patriot League Championships in a few more weeks. However, there are still some areas that we have to continue to improve in and we are aware of that. Overall it was a good weekend and it’s important that we continue to perform at this high level,” Silvestri said.

The Bison return to Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium on April 18 for the Bucknell Team Challenge.