Men’s lacrosse playoff bound after win over Lafayette

Dominique Daniels, Senior Writer

Men’s lacrosse took the field at Ridley High School on April 11. The game versus Lafayette was the featured match of the Third Annual HEADstrong Relentless Cup. This game met all expectations as the final goal came within the last 30 seconds of the match.

The Orange and Blue had held the advantage pretty much through the first half. Goals by Sean Doyle ’16 and Will Sands ’18 late in the second quarter pushed what was a close game into a great lead for the Bison. Sands has been playing incredibly well as of late, scoring eight goals in the last two games.

“Will has stepped up big time for us. To come in as a freshman and compete at such a high level shows not only how mature he is, but also how great he is and will become,” Head Coach Frank Fedorjaka said.

Sands may have also been motivated by a familiar opponent as his cousin, Jason Sands, plays for Lafayette. The Bison led by a score of 7-4 after the second quarter bell.

The second half continued to be a great one. The Bison struck first with three quick goals to take the score to 10-4. Lafayette did not back down. They erupted for four goals to bring them within two. To the enjoyment of the fans these goal streaks continued for both sides.

Led by the incredible play of Doyle, the Bison went on a three run stretch to bring their lead by to four. Again the Leopards struck back, scoring multiple goals to tie the game. With less than two minutes left in the game, the score was knotted at 13.

The Bison had a three-game losing streak on the line while the Leopards had a three-game winning streak they were looking to continue. After winning the face-off, the Bison played keep away until there were 30 seconds left on the clock. They ran their offense and got Alex Ryan ’15 the ball. With a swift move and shot, Ryan hit the back of the net giving the Bison their deciding goal. The Leopards attempted a shot with seconds left, but were unable to convert.

“I am so proud of my guys,” Fedorjaka said. “They worked very hard for this win, there is no such thing as an easy game in these league. Lafayette was a great opponent, I tip my hat to them. These past few weeks have not ended how we wanted them to. To see Alex, a senior and one of our leaders, step up in the final seconds of the game means so much to this team.”

This win clinched a playoff spot for the Bison. The Orange and Blue will host Loyola on April 17 at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium as they celebrate Senior Night.